Re: [OpenSync] Gnokii

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: [OpenSync] Gnokii
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 23:17:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Armin Bauer wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 21:44, Pawel Kot wrote:
> > Do you mean, the idea is: grab everything, sync locally, overwrite
> > everything (perhaps doing: remove and write)? If so, I don't think it is a
> > good idea. The mobile devices are not fast, or more important the
> > connection (eg. with IrDA) is not fast, but have already quite large
> > memory. Reading 1000 entries over IrDA from the Samsung phone takes few
> > minutes. I'd rather think of the way to minimize the transfer.
>
> this is of course not the prefered way. But some devices do not support
> another way to sync (Opie at the moment afaik) so we have to think of
> that too while we design opensync. If there are other ways to sync a
> device i will happily use those :)

It depends of course on the device. All mobile phones give you the memory
location as the unique identifier. So the couple memory type (SIM or
phone) and entry location is the valid data to distinct the entries. If
we'd grab and store these data, that would be an easy task.

This is of course the easiest case: synchronization of PC and the phone
with a phone as the master. Other cases require more logic, but keep in
mind memory type and location pair.

It is also worth to remember that while modern phones have quite large
memory, they still have less memory then PC and you can get off free space
while synchronizing...

take care,
p k o t a t b e z s e n s u d o t p l
http://www.gnokii.org/