My struggle with gnokii

From: Juhapekka Tolvanen
Subject: My struggle with gnokii
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 01:33:01 +0300

Everything else works mostly fine in my gnokii, I got from Debian
unstable, but uploading VCal/ICal-calenadars I got from my emacs via
exporting, is broken. So I made a bug report about it:

Then I realised that Debian has gnokii version 0.6.3 and latest version
is 0.6.4. So I downloaded sources from homepage of gnokii. That
directoy-tree even had debian-directory for compiling those sources to
Debian-package! But then: Right after ./configure script I saw some
message saying that support for ICal/VCal is not enabled! I checked
INSTALL-file that came with sources:

libical support:        libical-0.24, you may want to use gnokii internal iCal
                        implementation but it is limited, no longer developed
                        and deprecated. This is only for converting calendar
                        and todo entries into iCal files and reading such
                        files.

But libical is not yet available as Debian-package! Argh! So I made a so
called wnpp-bugreport (Work-Needing and Prospective Packages) about it.

After compiling all of that I get some packages with weird version
number, for example gnokii_0.6.0_i386.deb . I decided to install it,
though:

# dpkg -i gnokii_0.6.0_i386.deb
dpkg - warning: downgrading gnokii from 0.6.3-3 to 0.6.0.
(Reading database ... 174142 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace gnokii 0.6.3-3 (using gnokii_0.6.0_i386.deb) ...
gnokii:x:107:
Unpacking replacement gnokii ...
dpkg: error processing gnokii_0.6.0_i386.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libgnokii.so.2.0.1', which is also in package
libgnokii2
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 gnokii_0.6.0_i386.deb
zsh: 15505 exit 1     dpkg -i gnokii_0.6.0_i386.deb

Damn... So I purged both gnokii and libgnokii2 and tried again:

# dpkg -i gnokii_0.6.0_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package gnokii.
(Reading database ... 173934 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gnokii (from gnokii_0.6.0_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnokii:
 gnokii depends on libgnokii2 (>= 0.6.1-1); however:
  Package libgnokii2 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing gnokii (--install):
 gnokii
zsh: 949 exit 1     dpkg -i gnokii_0.6.0_i386.deb

What A mess! Why is it so hard to get Working(tm) gnokii-installation as
Debian-packages? Should I really install both gnokii and libical by from
source code, with a little help from GNU Stow? But meanwhile: Please,
fix that debian-directory that is inside upstream sources of gnokii.

And I still haven't tried, what happens, if I will export my GSM-numbers
from my BBDB (The Insidious Big Brother Databse) and try upload them to
my GSM with gnokii. I really fear, it will be same mess as this.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"kummaan paikkaan itsesi karkotit, syyttä syyllisten seuduille. raskaisiin