help, Responses from dmesg with Nokia 7600

From: E. Rosten
Subject: help, Responses from dmesg with Nokia 7600
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:30:46 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, John Maclean wrote:

What should I see in `dmesg` when I plug in the Nokia 7600? I remember
something about the dk2 cable or somthing like that.

I get this:

usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 7
usb 1-2: Product: Nokia 7600
usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Nokia
Nokia DKU2: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -1
drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: Ignoring extra header
drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: Ignoring extra header
cdc_acm 1-2:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
Nokia DKU2: probe of 1-2:1.3 failed with error -1
Nokia DKU2: probe of 1-2:1.4 failed with error -1
Nokia DKU2: probe of 1-2:1.5 failed with error -1
Nokia DKU2: probe of 1-2:1.6 failed with error -1
Nokia DKU2: probe of 1-2:1.7 failed with error -1
Nokia DKU2: probe of 1-2:1.8 failed with error -1
Nokia DKU2: probe of 1-2:1.9 failed with error -1
Nokia FBUS Port:
Nokia DKU2 1-2:1.10: Nokia 7600/DKU2 driver converter detected
usb 1-2: Nokia 7600/DKU2 driver converter now attached to ttyUSB0

If you have the cdc-acm driver (comes with the stock kernel), it will recognise the USB modem in the phone, and attach itself there.

If you have the dku2 kernel module (you have to patch your kernel, enable it through make gconfig and compile the modules), you will get the rest of the messages. If all is well, the driver will attach itself to /dev/ttyUSB?.

I have looked into
the threads and seen something about `coda` being enabled in my kernel.

If you want to use gnokiifs (and you do, honestly), so that you can mount the phone as a normal filesystem, then you'll need coda. This comes as part of the stock kernel.

What is this and where should it be in the compile options?

Many vendors ship with this module compiled. If not, look under filesystems->network filesystems->coda when you configure the kernel.

-Ed