FC3, Nokia 6230i, DKU-2 USB

From: Del
Subject: FC3, Nokia 6230i, DKU-2 USB
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 01:02:57 +1000

Hi,

A couple of notes on getting gnokii 0.6.7 running on Fedora Core 3 with a
Nokia 6230i and a DKU2 USB cable.  Kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC3.

I have the phone working fine talking USB to the kernel without gnokii.
e.g. I was able to copy a bunch of files to and from the MMC card by using
the KDE file manager, as hald noticed that it was a USB storage device, when
I put the phone into data storage mode.

* The instructions in Docs/README-DK2 appear to be incorrect for the driver
for the 2.6 kernel.  It appears that instead of patching the kernel sources,
the driver file there is supposed to be compiled using:

make ; make install

Also it appears that the required usb-serial.h is not in the kernel headers
set shipped with Fedora Core 3.  I had to find a set of kernel sources and
copy the usb-serial.h file from there, and put it into the patches/kernel_2.6
before make would work.

* The driver compiles OK but doesn't seem to work.  When I plug the phone in
to the USB port, however, another driver (cdc-acm) grabs it and sees the phone,
as well as creates a /dev/ttyACM0 driver node (FC3 has devfs running).  Is it
possible to use the phone over this cdc-acm driver?

* e.g. I can modprobe the driver and it loads OK but I can't see the dmesg
entries as suggested by the Doc/README-DKU2 file.  I see messages from the
cdc_acm module instead.

* Should I try to disable this cdc-acm driver?  Will that hurt other USB
connectivity things?

* Which .gnokiirc entries should I be using for this phone and connection
combination?  I've tried model = AT and model = 6510 with no success so far
(just running xgnokii fails to connect to the phone).  Also which port =,
and connection = values should I be using?

* Are there some basic command-line connection tests I can run?  There doesn't
appear to be much in the documentation on this.

--
Del