Discovering IRDA models

From: Sean Atkinson
Subject: Discovering IRDA models
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:25:31 +0200

Hi,

I've just subscribed to this list to post a development suggestion and
check feedback before I start any hacking.

I've got more than one mobile phone model I'd like to use infra-red
with, specifically Nokia phone models 6230 and 8310.  Currently I have
to edit the "model =" in gnokiirc each time I want to switch.

However it occurred to me that this model information should be
available from /proc/net/irda/discovery whenever infra-red communication
with the phone is available.  Therefore I propose to add a new virtual
model called irda / auto / discover or similar, which will lookup
suitable models from a list and work automatically in such cases.

Hopefully that all sounds sensible and I can start hacking, but please
let me know if anybody has any interesting thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,

Sean.