xpm images and packaging policy

From: Linus Walleij
Subject: xpm images and packaging policy
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:17:58 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I package software for the Fedora Extras RPM package repository. We have had this problem with gnokii that the source directory for xgnokii/xpm contain a number of Nokia phone images, which are presumably encumbered by copyrights, trademarks and/or legal pattern protection.

This makes it hard for us to package and distribute gnokii, and other frontends not using gnokii and its libraries, like gnome-phone-manager.

I do not intend to start another everlasting IP discussion, just want to
route around this problem for now.

Is it possible for you to:

* package xgnokii .tar.gz source separately from the rest of gnokii?
* distribute the .xpm images separately?
* get permission from Nokia to distribute these images under the GNU GPL?

else our option will be to redistribute a RPM with a patched source with xgnokii taken out or similar. This will work too, but wanted to ask gnokii developers first.

Yours,
Linus Walleij