Re: xgnokii on an HTC Blueangel running linux

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: xgnokii on an HTC Blueangel running linux
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:23:20 +0100

Hi,

2006/1/6, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <address@hidden>:
> this i found to be so amusing, i had to let you know (hi hugh :)
[...]
> i mean running linux ON the mobile phone, i compiled up
> gnokii using the openembedded.org toolchain, running GPE/Familiar,
> ssh'd in to the phone and ran xgnokii over an ssh tunnel back
> to my laptop.
>
> *ROTFL* :)
>
> ... and it works!

Wow. Impressive. So I belive the phone offers modem access through a
serial device. Is this right?

> i had to hack it about a bit, due to RIL/GSM stupidity.
>
> so, as requested on your web site, here is a notification regarding
> the bugreport / patch:
>

> http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=15391

Thanks. I will look through them.

> things that are missing - or don't work - or i haven't found out how to
> make them work:
>
> * ability to notice and answer incoming phone calls
>   (gomunicator _does_ allow this)

Hm. I don't think it is possible in AT mode in *passive* mode (so the
phone sends the message with no request for that). In such case we
need to send the AT (or something) in regular periods to get
something. Anyway xgnokii is doing this so I need to look at it how
hard it would be to add this to xgnokii.

> * a dial-pad to type in telephone numbers

Something like gnokii --keysequence?

> * a ringing sound (wav file) when an incoming call is received
>   or an SMS message arrives.

That's for GUI hackers. Jano?

> also, sadly, xgnokii is _terribly_ unusable on a 320x480 screen
> and i'd be very surprised if it was useable even on a 640x480
> screen (yes, i have an HTC Universal and no, there's no realistic
> chance of having linux running on that in the next 12 months,
> which is a pity, because it's a 3G phone).

Any screenshots?

take care,
Pawel Kot
http://www.gnokii.org/