Re: Feasibility: Java based API access to gnokii

From: Harsha Ramesh
Subject: Re: Feasibility: Java based API access to gnokii
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:42:24 +0530

Thanks Pawel,

I shall work on it during my sparetime and should be able to post my work sometime soon. I think that building the wrapper will only help the existing phone support, which means that my Nokia 2112 will still not work :-( ... Anyways, something is better than nothing.

till later,
Harsha

On 1/20/06, Pawel Kot <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

On 1/19/06, Harsha Ramesh <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.Building a wrapper around the libgnokii sounds like a
> good idea. Please correct me if I am wrong. From my understanding of your
> reply, the core of gnokii is the libgnokii code. Writing a wrapper around
> the libgnokii would be sufficient for the higher level Java based API
> access?????

Yes.

> What about building device specific code? Does that have to be in C?? or
> could that be built in Java??

It IS in C. Device specific code is within libgnokii. There's no way
to prepare a plugin in other language.

> I agree about the fact that currently Java does not support standards on
> communicating on BT and IrDA.

It doesn't need. libgnokii supports it.

> Since gnokii is about building Nokia drivers

We have also AT driver.

> for the *nix platform

It works (or used to work) on win32 as well. (Mac OS X as well but it
is rather *nix).

> I shall look at the gsm-api.c file and see what I can understand and then
> post back my queries.

See rather include/gnokii*, wiki and serveral examples already posted
to the ml. gnokii.c lecture may be interesting as well.

take care,
Pawel Kot
http://www.gnokii.org/