Re: OTA-stuff (was: --putfilebyid?)

From: Jari Turkia
Subject: Re: OTA-stuff (was: --putfilebyid?)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 19:36:50 +0300

Pawel Kot wrote:
SMS PDU was the example. It is required to know how MMS is encoded to
be able to do anything with it.

Sure, detailed information on how exactly MMS works is needed. The format of initial service indication and MMSC data format remain currently unknown, regardless of some promising documents.

Meanwhile I had success with business card and calendar entry. I have a Nokia 6610i myself and I managed to send such data with Gnokii using an old Nokia 6210 connected to a Windows-box.

Business card example:
I created a text file with following content:
//SCKL23F4 BEGIN:VCARD
FN:Support
TEL;PREF:+442077138000
END:VCARD

There are four lines. Each ending with CR/LF-pair. I ran type sms.txt | gnokii --sendsms from CMD.exe and my phone understood the message succesfully.

Calendar entry example:
This is a bit tricky one. It seems impossible to fit a properly working vCalendar entry into 160 characters of a SMS. So, two messages are required. Message 1:
//SCKL23F523F5DE0201 BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:1.0
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART:20060517T101500
DTEND:20060517T101500
STATUS:NEEDS ACTION

Message 2:
//SCKL23F523F5DE0202 END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

I saved those into two separate text files and sent them in similar manner as before, naturally one send per text file.

The receiving mobile seems to have some sort of buffer and when it has received all the parts belonging to the message, it attempts to decode the entry. At least my phone displayed the calendar entry properly.

Also I did initial research on WAP-push (Service Indication) message. It seems a bit more complex than smart messaging.

Regards,
Jari Turkia