Re: Connecting to Nokia 3650 and 6600 under win32

From: Jari Turkia
Subject: Re: Connecting to Nokia 3650 and 6600 under win32
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:58:41 +0300

Geoff Shang wrote:
I don't think I can use Gnapplet under Windows. Is this true? If not, and I can't use IR either, have I gone as far as I can go with these phones? Is there any further I can go under win32 or should I wait a few days until I can try from my Linux box at home? Note that getting these messages now is preferable to waiting.

Any help anyone can provide on the above would be very helpful. I've spent a day reading all the documentation I can find, so apologies if I've missed something obvious.

Windows port of Gnokii was unmaintained for a long time. I've offered to help with that and managed to get the thing to compile and most parts to work, but we're lacking IR, bluetooth and Symbian support. In fact I do not even have a bluetooth capable phone to test with. The same thing goes with Gnapplet, I do not have a Symbian60 or 80 phone to install the Gnapplet to.

Readme-WIN32 is correct about IR-support. Due to Microsoft licensing issues, DDK files cannot be distributed. It is unclear to me if we are allowed to distribute binary versions of Windows Gnokii with built-in IrDA-support.

Unfortunately your best bet is to go with Linux. Both code and documentation are more mature.

Regards,
Jari Turkia