Re: utf8 / latin1

From: Gerald Grabner
Subject: Re: utf8 / latin1
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 20:38:32 +0200

Pawel Kot wrote:
> On 9/2/07, Gerald Grabner <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've a question regarding the charset (in particular German umlauts).
>> Here in Ubuntu 7.04, everything is in UTF-8. However, gnokii seems to
>> use latin1, so the (shell) output of getsms doesn't display umlauts
>> correctly. xgnokii produces two weird characters when typing an
>> umlaut. Is there any easy way to fix that?
>
> That's probably some locale issue. gnokii uses whatever LC_ALL is set
> to and chooses best possible way to encode message in PDU. If it still
> doesn't help please see Docs/Bugs on how to report a problem.

I'm not too familiar with this character encoding thing, so I'm not
sure if it is a bug in xgnokii or some other problem.

The LC_* variables were set to "en_US.UTF-8" in my environment. With
this, I got those two characters when typing an umlaut in the "New
Message" window. There were no latin1 locales available on my system,
so I had to create it (with "locale-gen en_US") and set LC_ALL
accordingly. With that, umlauts do work, but it's a rather cumbersome
process to get there.

It looks like the handling of UTF-8 in xgnokki might have some
problems.

Regards,
Gerald