Re: stable connection of nokia 3220 via CA42 cable is possible

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: stable connection of nokia 3220 via CA42 cable is possible
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:10:05 +0200

Hi,

On 10/27/07, Burkhard Soehne <address@hidden> wrote:
> First it looked like garbage to me. But perhaps you can see something. Here is
> a sample:
>    from PC:
>    41 54 0d 0a                                     | AT
>    answer from mobile:
>    55 55 55 55 55 55 55 55 1e ff 00 15 00 08 00 3a | UUUUUUUU       :
>    00 c0 00 04 01 c0 1f dc 00 55 55 55 55 55 55 55 |          UUUUUUU
>    55 1e ff 00 d0 00 03 01 01 e0 00 ff 2d 55 55 55 | U           -UUU
>    55 55 55 55 55 1e ff 00 15 00 08 00 3a 00 c0 01 | UUUUU       :
>    04 01 c1 1e dd                                  |
>    next from PC:
>    41 54 26 46 0d 0a                               | AT&F
>    41 54 2a 4e 4f 4b 49 41 46 42 55 53 0d 0a       | AT*NOKIAFBUS
>
> Without this fix, on ubuntu you have to break the very first gnokii command
> with Ctrl-C. The next gnokii command will be successfull.
> With this fix the first gnokii command will be successfull.

What you have shown above is the initialisation phase, not the actual
command. Normally the phone is in AT mode. In order to swich it to
FBUS mode, you need to issue AT*NOKIAFBUS command. As shown above your
phone does not repond with OK answers meaning that the phone is
already in FBUS mode. And this is a place for the improvement in
gnokii in the initialisation phase.

> > > This patch IS NOT a proper solution, it is actually a workaround. It
> > > should give a motivation of starting a discussion how to fix the
> > > problems.
> > > Mainly I have changed the handling of the sequence-id.
> > > For my nokia3220 the sequence-id should not start at zero for every
> > > gnokii command. It should set to zero only after booting the mobile.
> > > The next expected sequence-id will be written and read in "/tmp/seq.dat".
> >
> > Perhaps static value is enough?
> You have to count from one gnokii command to the next one (each starting from
> shell). In between there is not gnokii running to store any variable.
> For that reason a file or a deamon running all the time is needed.

Okay. I understand this now. I would really like to understand how
Nokia PC Suite does it but I have some problems sniffing USB traffic.

> > > 4. Do we need a deamon, which holds the connection all the time?
> > Could you please show some debug logs with and without patch? I'm
> > testing it with Nokia 6021 and CA-42 cable. And the patch makes gnokii
> > not working at all. Without patch about 80% of commands are
> > successful.
>
> Every log-file is the debugging output of "gnokii --getdatetime &>file":

Thanks. It will take me some time looking into these files.

take care,
Pawel Kot