- Develop software GUI on commercial mobile to be used for testing GSM/UMTS mobile network. It can be connected by Blue tooth GPS (or use mobile based GPS like N95) to give the testing point and record it.
- Display the parameters on Mobile GUI
- Give the user the ability to force the test into cell or SC or technology
- Replay tool is needed to check the recorded data
- Calculate some GSM/UMTS KPIs (Key performance indicators) based on recorded parameters
Network Air Interface parameters required:
Carrier number, MS RX Level in dBm, Received signal quality, MS TX power level, C1 (Path loss criterion, used for cell selection and reselection), RTL (Radio link timeout), Timeslot, Indication of the transmitter status, TMSI (Temporary Mobile Subscriber Identity), Cell identification (Cell ID, Number of cells being used), MCC (Mobile country code), MCN (Mobile network code), LAC (Location area code), Ciphering (On/Off), Hopping (On/Off), DTX (On/Off), Discard cell barred information.
Commercial Programs looks like our project:
TEMS Pocket: (SonyEricsson Phones)
Nemo Handy: (Nokia phones)
TEMS Pocket is the most advanced and powerful hand-held tool on the market for verification, maintenance, and troubleshooting of mobile networks as well as for basic cell planning tasks. Its new design is able to serve on several technologies and markets covering GSM/GPRS/EDGE and WCDMA. Website: http://www.ericsson.com/solutions/tems/realtime_diagnostics/pocket.shtml
We have tried to reach the desired data using J2ME or Symbian C/C++ languages on Nokia phones but there is no APIs support these data. But your project have already connect to some modem drivers of the handset. So, we hope you to explain these modem drivers and how did you get it.
the project belongs to Cairo University – Faculty of Engineering graduation projects and it's sponsored by Vodafone.