Re: smsd deletes inbound SMS messages when database connection down

From: Aart Koelewijn
Subject: Re: smsd deletes inbound SMS messages when database connection down
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:58:53 +0200

On do, 2008-07-31 at 08:12 +0200, Pawel Kot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 02:23, Alastair Watts <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Got a fairly urgent one..
> >
> > It appears at the moment that smsd reads the inbound SMS and deletes it
> > even if the connection to the database is down, resulting in permanent
> > loss of the message.
> >
> > Can a modification be added to only delete the message from the inbox if
> > the INSERT was successful?
> >
> > Gnokii version is 0.6.26, built from FreeBSD ports.
>
> Could you provide debug log for such behaviour? Looking at the code,
> SMS is NOT deleted on database error. Which db plugin do you use?

Maybe related:

I have used smsd for many years with the pq module. Always worked fine
when that module was installed and I started smsd without any
parameters. Now, in Ubuntu 8.04, Gnokii 0.6.22, if I run smsd without
parameters it will start in file mode, even when no spool directory is
defined, will then write the messages to the terminal and delete them
from the inbox. I could rescue the messages by inserting them into the
db by hand from the terminal, but it did cost me a lot of time.

I feel the old behaviour is much better (if a pq module is present start
in pq mode etc.) but at least the messages should not be deleted if it
is not clear where the user wants them saved or saving them did not
succeed. Maybe smsd could be changed in such a way that it will output
the --help message when started without parameters?

Aart