Re: help about smsreader option

From: Benjamin Chodroff
Subject: Re: help about smsreader option
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:19:27 -0400

Eh, the software is good but I'll agree the public relations are a bit
lacking :)

I'm just another user who happens to have poked around the smsreader
code. I'll try to help.
I believe the text messages from --smsreader are saved somewhere in
/tmp if I remember correctly. Let me know if I'm off on that.

To answer your question about why ./gnokii --smsreader > somefile
isn't working, it's because nearly all that output is not stdout but
rather stderror. The ">" character only redirects stdout by default -
to record std_error, try:
gnokii --smsreader 2>&1 somefile

This will combine both stderror and stdout into one file, but you'll
have a bunch of junk to sort through to get your text.

If you really want to do it right, I would check out the smsd
application in gnokii. It can save text messages to a specified file
or database.

Hope that gets you started.
Ben