Re: Patch to set pid on sms send

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Patch to set pid on sms send
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 00:25:32 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 20:45, Josef <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 16:47, Pawel Kot <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> And what is the reason for that? Why did you need it? I wouldn't
>> expect gnokii user to know what should they put as the argument.
>
> I primary needed it to test the "Curse of Silence" bug on nokia phones
> (pid 50, see https://berlin.ccc.de/~tobias/cursesms.txt)

Well, I don't think it is a good reason to put it into gnokii.

> But it is also useful to send messages that replace the old one (pid
> 65 , see http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg02055.html)
> If you think it is not useful for the users, don't add it. But I think
> it is always better to have the option to use something.

One thing is that for all the years gnokii existed noone really asked
for it. So I belive right now it's the S60 bug allowing to "disable"
incoming SMS. However I think it could be supported by gnokii but only
if it's correctly implemented.

That is:
 - I'm not really sure if PID should be exported to the user; I'd say
we should expose rather functional behaviours like "replace short
message" or "return call message" or anything else supported
 - PID abbreviation should be avoided -- it's PROCESS identifier in
unix world and it could be confusing
 - value validation function in libgnokii
 - SMSD should have additional column(s) for that purpose (see also
first notice)
 - gnokii cli switches (or any UI) should match the first notice as well
 - documentation :)

take care,
--
Pawel Kot