Re: Strange issue with SMSD

From: Jan Derfinak
Subject: Re: Strange issue with SMSD
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:03:15 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Dinesh Shah (દિનેશ શાહ/दिनेश शाह) wrote:

Hello.

> I see some 10/11% SMSs are received in the DB before they are sent!
>
> SQL Statement:
> "select id, smsdate, insertdate from inbox where smsdate >= insertdate order
> by smsdate;"

The "smsdate" record is composed from information included in
SMS. These information is filed (I think) by SMS center of your GSM
provider and you can not verify accurancy of this information.
In contrary to smsdate, "insertdate" is your local time filed by database
server (with "now" function) when sms is inserted to database.
You must decide yourself who trust. :) Whether information from your GSM
network or information from your ntp synchronized computer. Ask your GSM
provider if his SMS Center is ntp synchronized.

> Any hints? My system is synchronized with NTP and this is only happens in
> about 10/11% cases.

The GSM network can deliver sms's in different times. And smsd looks for
sms's in some intervals so the delay between the time when a sms appears
in phone and the time when it is inserted to database can vary. Events in
real world are mostly asynchronous.

jan