Re: GSM device in virtual serial port via USB

From: Vieri
Subject: Re: GSM device in virtual serial port via USB
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 03:44:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 8/31/09, Vieri <address@hidden> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 8/31/09, Vieri <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > How can I avoid this manual intervention (either
> > LinuxOS-wise or Gnokii-wise)?
>
> Never mind. I defined a custom udev rule.

Actually, after defining this udev rule:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{product}=="usb serial converter",
ATTRS{manufacturer}=="FTDI", ATTRS{serial}=="FTCTWS1T",
SYMLINK+="ttyUSB-GSM-630725830"

and after unplugging and re-connecting the USB cable to the system, gnokii
fails if trying to communicate with port ttyUSB-GSM-630725830:

Gnokii serial_open: tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Couldn't open ATBUS device: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.

(it was working well before disconnecting the USB cable)

/dev/ttyUSB0 is still present and if I tell gnokii to use /dev/ttyUSB0 instead
of /dev/ttyUSB-GSM-630725830 then it works fine.

Can someone please shed some light here?

Thanks,

Vieri