Re: Patch for better Samsung B2100 support

From: grunge
Subject: Re: Patch for better Samsung B2100 support
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 21:46:22 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 05:46:33PM +0200, Pawel Kot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 14:58, grunge <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I've enhanced the patch to add support for writephonebook on this phone.
> > Had to introduce new write_unencoded_number and write_unencoded_name
> > driver flags for this as the phone retuns encoded number on read but
> > needs both number and name to be written unencoded.
>
> Can you please show some dumps from the communication with the phone?

Some communication is attached, however it gets somehow complicated as
two new problems arose"

1) when using writephonebook to popullate empty phone memory,
   gnokii fails to (attempt to) write the very first entry:

        Initialisation completed
        Message sent: 0x00 / 0x000d
        41 54 2b 43 50 42 53 3d 22 4d 45 22 0d          | AT+CPBS="ME"
        write: [AT+CPBS="ME"<cr>]
        Message received: 0x00 / 0x0013
        02 41 54 2b 43 50 42 53 3d 22 4d 45 22 0d 0d 0a |  AT+CPBS="ME"
        4f 4b 0d                                        | OK
        Received message type 00
        Message sent: 0x67 / 0x000a
        41 54 2b 43 50 42 52 3d 3f 0d                   | AT+CPBR=?
        write: [AT+CPBR=?<cr>]
        Message received: 0x67 / 0x001c
        05 00 17 2b 43 50 42 52 3d 3f 0d 0d 0a 2b 43 4d |    +CPBR=?   +CM
        45 20 45 52 52 4f 52 3a 20 32 33 0d             | E ERROR: 23
        Received message type 67
        Write failed (Command failed.): memory type: ME, loc: 1, name: test1,
number: 1

   There are two workaround for this - either creating a single contact
   in phone memory using the phone, or adding a dummy entry as the first
   one in phonebook.

   Is there already a driver flag not to get confused by getting no
   reasonable response on AT+CPBS="ME"?

2) getphonebook stopped working after I wiped phone memory and repopulated it
using
   writephonebook. Now the phone responds with
        \05\00\03d+CPBR=1   +CME ERROR: 100
   when attempting to read non-empty positions.

   The "old" phonebook (copied into phone via SIM card) worked with
   getphonebook just until I wiped the memory (using the phone) to get
   some communication dumps with dummy numbers. Have no glue why the
   phone reports error now (still investigating this, seems it report
   errors even when I wipe it again and create some contacts manually).

> Quite frankly I'd prefer to have the flags:
>  - encode_number_write
>  - encode_number_read
>  - encode_name_write
>  - encode_name_read
>
> Do you mind updating the patch like that?

No problem, but it will probably take some days to finish as the
getphonebook issue seems more important now (and also separating
encode_number will need some more changes).

> > With this patch, both readphoonebook and writephonebook work with
> > Samsung B2100, although writephonebook's -o (overwrite) option seems
> > to have no effect, the phone probably uses some internal find-free
> > function
>
> Which memory type? It if was SM the fix was added just recently.

Memory type is ME. Observed behavior is that repeated writephonebook calls
with the same entry create repeated identical entries in the phone.
Regards,

grunge

--
NOTE FOR WINDOWS (TM) USERS:  IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE
LAW WILL I BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY SW OR HW DAMAGE, SYSTEM MALFUNCTION,