Re: locking in smsd

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: locking in smsd
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 23:49:18 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:59 AM, alonso acuña <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi. I am using model=AT and connection=serial with a USB phone.
> This works by opening the port, sending commands and then closing the
> port. As long as these operations do not overlap (run at the same
> time) then neither gnokii or smsd will have any trouble.

But this is very unlikely they won't overlap.

> I did a test where I ran gnokii --identify continuously, faster than
> one per second while smsd was also running and after deleting the
> lock. And it took like 15 seconds for gnokii to stop working. After a
> while it started working again. Smsd did not seem to be affected.

As already said you were just lucky.

> So I would think that smsd should be able to place the lock only when
> it really needs to send any commands to the phone. At least for this

And what should it do when other process did claim the lock? No,
that's not the way to go.

The proper solution is to have the phone daemon that manages
communication with the phone and apps talk to this daemon but nobody
had time to implement this for few years already.

take care,
--
Pawel Kot