new modem, cannot get smsd to work!

From: helpFractal
Subject: new modem, cannot get smsd to work!
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 13:20:03 -0800 (PST)

Having failed to get my old modem to send a sms I bought a new one. This one
allows me to send an sms using 'screen' and at commands and also works with
'echo "This is a test message" | sudo gnokii --sendsms +447720123456'.

All good.

However, 'sudo smsd -u smsd -p smsd -d online_smsd -c localhost -m mysql'
just quits the application and doesn't send the sms that it has read from
the database.

imac:~ fractal$ sudo smsd -u smsd -p smsd -d online_smsd -c localhost -m
mysql
smsd - version 1.5.2 from gnokii 0.6.31
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
LOG: xdebug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /Users/fractal/.gnokiirc.
Lockfile /var/lock/LCK..cu.HUAWEIMobile-Modem is stale. Overriding it...
Sending SMS: 07720123456, hello from mysql
Inserting Event: 0
phone instance config:
model = AT
port = /dev/cu.HUAWEIMobile-Modem