Re: Some more fixes to make release happen

From: Ladislav Michl
Subject: Re: Some more fixes to make release happen
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 21:55:08 +0100

Hello Daniele,

On Sun, 2021-11-14 at 16:49 +0100, Daniele Forsi wrote:
Hello Ladislav,

> I'd release 0.6.32 as a bugfix release only. That means excluding
> API
> breaking changes.

that's a good idea but how many third party packages depend on
libgnokii?
On Debian it's only gnome-phone-manager which is dead upstream (I was
the last maintainer upstream), but it's not a good reason to break it,
if it still works

It works with current git as well:
https://github.com/3x380V/phonemgr/tree/next

But my point was to have next version released as drop-in replacement.
Once we break API, let's make worth breaking it.
Also see here:
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnokii-users/2020-01/msg00002.html
I already made libgnokii glib free, but I do not want that change go
into this release. I would be enough time consuming as it stands now.
Let's reserve 0.7 release for breaking changes ;-)

I'm favorable to a 10th anniversary release, if you still have access
to your Savannah account you can push there when you are done and then
ask Pawel for an official release

I cannot push to savannah gnokii repository. But that is probably fine
as Pawel is using github as playground as well.

So I need to polish Windows support a bit and release next preview
branch on github.

> I'm now able to test on Linux, MacOS and Windows

which Linux flavour?
Under Debian testing I get a fatal error at the autogen.sh step using
autotools 2.71:
configure.ac:902: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_FUNC_MKDIR
it is fixed by running autoupdate but it does many changes to our
configure.ac which I'm not able to review

I'm using Debian 11. Please follow discussion here:
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnokii-users/2020-01/msg00005.html

Best regards,
        ladis