gnoppix-user

Re: [Gnoppix-user] Re: Install to HD, etc

From: Sheldon Isaac
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-user] Re: Install to HD, etc
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:56:35 -0400

Thanks a lot to you folks who have given me help.

> > On Wednesday I got a computer to do that:
> > 300 MHz AMD K6-2;   FIC VA-503+ mainboard; 64 Mb;
> > HITACHI CDR-7730
> > As I understand it, if I have a friend download
> > ftp://source.rfc822.org/pub/local/gnoppix/gnoppix-0.5.5-2.iso
> > and burn it to a CD-R, I can boot Gnoppix from the CD-R?
>
> You can, but probably only with a more recent computer. 64 MB is more
> than enough for a small Linux distribution, but if you use KDE or
> Gnome (and Gnoppix uses Gnome), you probably won't have much fun with
> these 64 MB - and I doubt that Gnoppix will even start on your machine
> (although I didn't try it myself).

Although it did occur to me to move the 128Mb DIMM from this computer
(would get a 256 to replace it) into the experimental computer; does anyone
know whether I need be concerned about single-density or single-side or
whatever?

> Your CD-ROM has 4x speed - halfway recent CD-ROMs run with at least 20x
> speed. As Gnoppix runs entirely from CD and you really don't have a lot
> of RAM, this will make things even worse.

Yesterday I spent hours because my Win98 computer maybe  sort-of
malfunctioning while trying to communicate with WIn98SE on the experimental
PC. This morning I wiped out the Windows98SE and installed old original
Windows 98. I don't know whether that was responsible or not, but the two
computers communicate fine now.
But anyhow, the point was that I had a lot of trouble with the CD-R drive
not seeing files on the Win98 or some other CD-ROM discs.
So I pulled out the 4x drive and brought over the 32x from another
computer. It worked well. Perhaps the other needs cleaning?

> I think you will be better off with Knoppix, because it comes with the
> icewm window manager which doesn't need as much RAM as Gnome or KDE.
> Just type       knoppix desktop=icewm    at the boot prompt.
>
> See also: <http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en-old.html#requirements>

Many thanks,    Michael.

I have learned a tiny bit so far:  BasicLinux is on my hard drive; when I
boot, I can have a menu from CONFIG.SYS let me    loadlin  the BasicLinux
kind of immediately. or go to a DOS prompt where I can do DOS, say  Win  or
say  BL  to do those things.

The first of the non-DOS partitions is the  /  of BL , the next is for
swap, and the last and "biggest" is  mounted as  /hd/four , and I moved a
couple of directories there from  /  (which is on /dev/hda2 ) , per my
friend's suggestion.
Made symbolic links for them back on  /  .  So the path that refers to
/usr/blablabla still works.

The DamnSmallLinux I ordered hasn't come yet, which is just as well - I
will unable to work on this for the next few days.

Very tired now.

Thanks again,

Sheldon Isaac
215-842-0863