[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla-bash-complete improvements

From: Jonas Diemer
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla-bash-complete improvements
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:19:53 +0200

On 01 Sep 2003 10:13:53 -0700
Robert Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:

> > revision completion though? Maybe have the script just complete to
> >
> > cat--branch--version--
> >
> > whenever a revision is a valid argument. this should save a lot of
> > typing work but still won't give possible hundreds of revisions for
> > choice.
>
> I think it's ok to list all the revisions.  It's the same thing for
> file completion in a large directory.  archive cycling for this and
> other reasons ought to keep revision counts from reaching the 1000's,
> I suspect.

Well, I still don't like that though... Not only will it mess up the
completion output, but revision completion is also the most ressource
intense task: The script would have to recursively get all existing
versions, then get all revision for each version and finally concenate
them together.

The gain in typing speed is very little compared to the costs. One could
point out that listing all revisions might make it easier for the user
to remember/know which version he wants... But just listing all
revisions without any summary wont be a big help I think.

Another reason is that some commands (e.g. tla get) are also satisfied
with a version. So we should just do version completion if a revision is
a valid argument, maybe completing to base-0 or patch- if a version is
followed by two dashes.

Jonas