Re: [Gnu-arch-users] DARCS

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] DARCS
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 20:34:00 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Zack Brown <address@hidden>

    > With CVS, you know what you're getting. For all its warts, it's still
    > very, very predictable. You don't have to worry about the repository
    > format changing with the next revision or anything like that. So
    > projects that need stability will be tempted to deal with CVS'
    > limitations just to get the stability.

Right.  If you're a decision maker who is (in effect) a check-signer,
you have to think at a higher level before arch matters.  Otherwise,
it's just a matter of throwing bodies at things.

    > A lot of projects that currently use CVS will also have a hard time
    > switching. A lot of people genuinely like CVS, and don't want to change.
    > Many of them have also gotten so used to CVS' behavior that it has
    > become second nature to them, and new concepts like distributed
    > repositories are very difficult to get their minds around.

Perhaps.  When I look at GCC, which I consider a quintessential
example of a project that has _really_ wrapped it's mind around CVS, I
see that what they have done is to force CVS into patterns that arch
would let flower but that CVS let's do little more than sprout.

!