Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems

From: Jonas Diemer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:37:02 +0200

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:32:59 +0300 (IDT)
Shlomi Fish <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm not sure if I get you here. What I want is that different parts of
> the same repository will have different permissions. So, for example,
> if I have an API and several GUI Clients that use it, the maintainer
> of one of the GUI clients will only have write access to that client
> directory, while not able to write to the core API. Can it be emulated
> in Arch?

It's a bit different in arch, as far as I understand... it depends on
the underlaying protocol. It that one user has only read access to the
space where the repository (arch calls it archive) resides, he will only
able to read from it... Another user can have read/write acces and will
be able to write to that.

I think what may mislead you is, that there is no central repository,
i.e. if you need different permissions on different projects, you would
simply create different repositories... also as you can simply mirror
repositories, you can have different access permissions for the same
project/repository depending on which mirror is used.

I hope it helps and there's not too much nonsense in my reply (since I
am fairly new to arch).

regards

Jonas