Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive/category meta-info

From: Doran Moppert
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive/category meta-info
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 01:24:33 +1000

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 06:54:05AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> The open question is whether or not there should be something similar
> but actually integrated into arch, so that I might ask, for example:
>
>       tla cat-readme ARCHIVE/CATEGORY--BRANCH
>
> to get the readme for a branch and so that:
>
>       tla push-mirror
>
> updates modified readme files.
>
> If so, I think we'd want to consider mapping the readme files into the
> namespace, for example, with the readme for the entire archive
> being stored as the log messages of:
>
>       X-This--Readme--0.1--patch-<N>
>
> And, yes, if higher-level functionality like grab also wants
> "meta-data" in the archive, that should be considered too.  Perhaps:
>
>       X-This--grab-bag-<mangled-name>--<version>--patch-<N>

This makes sense .. I can see strong justification for it in the case of
categories/branches. Arch is already consulted for ChangeLog, and it's an
indexed repository so it fits within scope.

"arch-tag: automatic-Readme-<blah>" should also be supported in that case
(shouldn't it be automatic-ReadMe to match automatic-ChangeLog?), but I
digress.

For an archive-wide readme however I don't feel so confident that this is the
right mechanism though. Too close to the purpose of a ReadMe for a
configuration perhaps?