[Gnu-arch-users] Re: ViewARCH-0.0.2

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ViewARCH-0.0.2
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 04:16:00 -0400

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 05:08:52PM +0900, Tez Kamihira wrote:
> >       B. A file-specific history of the file; this info isn't in arch,
> >          of course, but you can generate it in the same way my
> >          `tla-file-log' shell script does.[*]
>
> I don't think it's a good idea, Because every inventory can change its
> name (= file name). I've not tried your work thoroughly yet, but suspect
> that it can't track the file name transition.

It's not hard to track renames within a single branch given the information
in the patch-logs (and patch-logs are easily available, both in the archive,
and in a project tree).  Indeed my script doesn't do it yet, but I've looked
at it, and it doesn't seem to be much work.

Of course one question is, should a `file history' show history from merges?
Tracking renames within merges might be less fun...

I do think this is important though -- one of main reasons I use viewcvs-type
cvs browsers is to find out how a certain file has changed recently, and it's
a big pain to have to look in every changeset to see.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?