Re: [Gnu-arch-users] making a public mirror

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] making a public mirror
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:04:36 +0100

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 01:27:29AM -0700, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Monday, Sep 15, 2003, at 01:09 US/Pacific, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>
> >>    I don't really understand the relevance.  Can I not have commit
> >>    access to an archive that doesn't belong to me?
> >
> >"Can"? Well, that's complicated. You almost always _won't_, though,
> >and don't really want to either.
>
>       I tend to share archives with friends quite a bit.  I certainly
>       share a CM system with coworkers, so I don't really understand why I
> wouldn't want to share an archive in a similar way.

"One archive per person" is a good rule of thumb - and then you just
apply other people's changes to yours as necessary. Unlike some other
revision control systems, in arch this is not appreciably harder than
if everything were in the same archive.

You'll eventually understand why this is _preferable_ to working in
the same archive after you've used it for a while.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |