Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file-revert

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file-revert
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:37:36 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

    >   I've implemented file-revert in my tree, except I do not believe the
    > behavior is *exactly* right.  I'm basically doing this:

    >   safe_unlink(mod_loc);
    >   copy_file(orig_path, mod_loc);

    >   That gets me the right file in the right place, but the file shows up
    > in what-changed (presumably because the inode changed).  Is there a
    > more correct way to do this?

Really?!   If so, that'd be a bug.

The change in inode signature should force what-changed to actually
`diff' the file, but if the comparison says that it's unchanged, then
it's unchanged.

What does `what-changed --diffs' say about that file after reversion?

Also: well, I don't have the rest of your code to look at, but --

*) are you sure you don't mean copy_file_or_symlink
   (which is likely unrelated to the problem you're seeing)

*) are you sure that mod_loc is a correct relative path from from the
   cwd of the process (which _might_ be related to the problem you're
   seeing -- but probably not if "by eye" you think the file is
   correctly reverted)

*) (unrelated):  I don't know about that unlink.   How about a rename
   to a ",," file, instead?

(Thanks for working on that command.  I'm sure that others will
appreciate it.  Something silly like cat `tla file-find ....` > file
would do the same thing but that is certainly a little too
inconvenient for what seems to be an operation that people often
want.)