Re: [Gnu-arch-users] TLA on Cygwin

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] TLA on Cygwin
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:58:55 -0700

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 07:00:25PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

> It's nowhere near exceeding a reasonable limit.

I agree that the paths aren't unreasonable, but they are longer than
most other uses of pathnames.  As such, arch will tend to bring out bugs
in other systems.

For example, I found out the hard way that the Retrospect backup client
for Linux seems to die sometimes with the long pathnames.  This is
indeed a bug, and needs to be fixed, but I suspect these kinds of things
will show up as arch gets moved to other systems.

Unfortunately, it isn't easy to change, since the longest of the names
get put in tar files in archives.  So, even if a future version were to
use shorter names, we still have to deal with the longer names in
existing archives.

If the tar/diff/patch functionality were embedded directly into tla
(which seems to be a trend with other revision systems), it could do
whatever mapping locally it wanted to.  I don't know if this is
practical, since embedded them isn't likely to give much benefit,
otherwise.

Dave