Re: [going OT] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [ANNOUNCE] tlator-0.1 initial re

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [going OT] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [ANNOUNCE] tlator-0.1 initial release
Date: 18 Sep 2003 13:46:17 +0900

Doran Moppert <address@hidden> writes:
> funny how better-designed tools get both support and resistance from the same
> people in different contexts :)

Well, point taken, but there are some important differences too.  In
particular RCSs like arch or cvs tend to be a pretty independent layer
on top of a project's source code, so it's not _too_ hard to change back
and forth; by contrast, changing the build system in e.g. emacs would be
major surgery (this is probably less true for simpler projects).

Personally speaking, the shortcomings of make have been sufficiently
papered over (by the hard labor of millions, but nonetheless) that I
rarely run into problems severe enough to make me want to put in the
effort to change.

CVS, by contrast, was a big pain for me, and switching to arch has made
life a lot easier -- it was definitely worth the effort to do so (and in
my case, that included some annoying stuff that others probably won't
have to deal with).

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.