[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [going OT] build tool design, was: tlator-0.1 initi

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [going OT] build tool design, was: tlator-0.1 initial release
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:30:47 +0100

On 2003-09-18 04:55:13 +0100 Doran Moppert <address@hidden> wrote:
funny how better-designed tools get both support and resistance from the same people in different contexts :). Not that I can talk -- I still use Make [...]

I have problems understanding why people consider alternatives like cons and scons better designed. It's not a point that their own documentation makes very convincingly. For example, cons seems to offer shared NFS trees with desync'd clocks as a motivation for using it. Well, if you have NFS and desync'd clocks, make goofing is the least of your problems! You need to fix the clocks anyway. Meanwhile, cons seemed not to do an equivalent of -j builds, which are a really handy thing on multiprocessor systems. scons offers little motivation for itself beyond being a restructured cons (which puts more doubt on cons).

When all's said and done, Make actually seems capable of doing what it sets out to do: constuct dependency graphs and figure out a solution for the requested target based on certain information. It's also capable of being used in a way that prevents it doing that properly (recursive make fans, are you listening?) but you can break most tools if you try hard enough.

The only alternative that I've seen which seems to offer benefits is cook. Even those benefits (faster graph construction/solution and more human-friendly syntax) may not be worth the cost of using it for small projects. Cook is quite badly promoted, too: why on earth is the manual not obviously online as nice HTML? Cue another documentation tools thread...

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden