[Gnu-arch-users] Re: reminder: winning smallish project

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: reminder: winning smallish project
Date: 20 Sep 2003 12:58:27 +0900

Jason McCarty <address@hidden> writes:
> Maybe...but I think I would want every dopatch option to also be a
> replay option.

Yeah I agree, that's probably a good general rule.

> The additional user-friendly replay options might not
> necessarily be synonyms, either; they could represent a combination of
> dopatch options.

Right.

> > Some ideas for replay:
> >
> >   --omit     `omit this patch from the patch-stream'
> >   --suppress `forcibly prevent this patch from being part of the
> >              patch-stream'
>
> I don't quite understand the meaning of these, or their differences.

Actually They're both different suggestions for the same option.

I agree that these aren't all that great either.  My (vague) idea was
that `replay --reverse' removes an earlier patch from the set of applied
patches, putting it back into the `pending' pool (from the point of view
of `whats-missing' et al).  The suggested operation, on the other hand
says `_omit_ the given patch from the patch stream completely, don't
even put it back into the pending pool.'  It's as if it never happened
at all except for the historical note included in the patch logs.

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.