Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Ruminations on Arch Desiderata

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Ruminations on Arch Desiderata
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:00:56 +1000

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 18:23, Paul Snively wrote:

> resistance to ZeroConf. Nevertheless, I remain open to substantive
> feedback about the available alternatives to DNS-SD and mDNS,
> particularly since I've now spent approximately half an hour of my life
> that I can never get back writing trivial rebuttals to selective,
> out-of-context, unrealistically pessimistic, and in one case merely
> false, "information" about DNS-SD.

I think that generating a DNS-SD profile, and seeking critique within
that context would be a good step to take. tla already has the core
hooks needed for a configuration detecting daemon to add registrations,
and to parse the list of archives for ones on the local machine to
advertise. I can think of a couple of tweaks to assist - but they can
wait.

I fully agree that social solutions don't scale. Google solves problems
that word of mouth, and a whiteboard don't.

Rob