Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:32:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Tom Lord wrote:

> > From: Pau Aliagas <address@hidden>
> > It doesn't look too difficult to mirror and the copy the new format. The
> > sooner the better. We already did this to migrate format 1 archives.
>
> That's true enough.   But please also consider that:
>
> 1) Windows doesn't really impose a path-length limitation that effects
>    us.   An ancient API in windows does, and currently Cygwin is stuck
>    at that API.

I see that, I've followed the discussion.

> 2) These paths aren't _that_ long.   If you shorten them, fine -- that
>    postpones the problem a little bit and maybe shifts it from arch to
>    some other package -- but the problem is still there.   These paths
>    aren't an unreasonable length.

Well, it looks to me like a little cleanup, not prioritary at all, but
nice anyway. Too much redundancy is a bit annoying to my eyes, but in no
way a problem, just something we could easyly do now and forget forever.

> So, sure -- we can do archive cycling things -- heck, even archive
> reformatting things:  but to me that feels like propogating a cygwin
> bug _way_ out of proportion.

The number of people using arch right now is more or less known and are in
the list; doing these aesthetical changes would not represent a big
problem. Once arch spreads for "world domination" we'll have o be much
more careful. So, like the tune says: "it's now or never...".

Pau