[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] engineering ethics and rhetoric in the modern

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] engineering ethics and rhetoric in the modern age
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:53:38 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Zack Brown <address@hidden>

    > So, the point of your long post below seems to be that there are
    > certain issues of truth that should be considered in a rational
    > and scientific way, and that you have been trying to do that.

A bit more than that, actually -- and as a minor quibble, "scientific"
is probably not quite the right word there.

What you missed is that I also said your rude rhetorical habits
preclude the possibility of you and I engaging in a calm, rational,
critical discourse about these matters.

You've repeatedly accused me things like "treating people poorly"
citing as evidence your alleged paraphrases of what I've said.

When I try to correct your misapprehensions of what I've said, because
after all, miscommunication happens, you ignore those parts of my
reply and repeat your accusations.  From my perspective, it's a bit
like talking to a brick wall.

Your long reply largely repeats the patterns.   Much of it is
predicated on (my paraphrase, this time): "If I've understood you
correctly, and I think I have ...."

But you haven't.  Or if you have you've chosen to behave as if you
haven't.

I submit that you are, perhaps, projecting some of your own issues
about your understanding of yourself and relations between people onto
me.  Perhaps you recognize in me signifiers of some element of
yourself that you have repressed for one reason or another.  The other
possibilities of intepretation are unspeakable but lead to the same
conclusion: Have you considered therapy?  I don't mean that as an
insult -- my sense in reading your reply and its detachment from what
I've actually said is that you're tyring to work out some issue that
is much deeper than this thread and really doesn't have all that much
to do with me.

"Be well,"