[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Yours/mine terminology.

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Yours/mine terminology.
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:07:22 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: David Brown <address@hidden>
    > On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:37:17AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

    > > Then the three trees are:
    > >      * older
    > >      * yours
    > >      * mine

    > I've learned from experience with Perforce that the terms yours and mine
    > can become misleading.  Perforce always uses them when merging, even
    > when yours and mine have the opposite intuitive meaning.

I'm sure I agree.  I find them confusing, too.

I started using them here just because popular diff3 man pages use
those terms.

    > Think of the case where I'm merging my changes from my development
    > branch back to a mainline branch (I have write access there).  In this
    > case "mine" is the mainline, and "yours" are my changes.

    > For descriptions, they're probably fine, I would just hate to see them
    > end up in code.

Heh.   In the code, they're their a little bit -- but again just to
follow diff3.   The name of the parameter that corresponds to the
`yours' argument to diff3 is called `yours', etc.

I think that the labels I used in the output though, the labels that
appear in the conflict markers -- are better.