Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:19:17 -0700

On Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003, at 14:12 US/Pacific, Tom Lord wrote:

        My arguments against it are basically globbing and inconsistency.

Globbing works fine with my versions of sh.   Not sure in what precise
way yours is broken.    The consistency arguments are pretty
subjective, at best.

        OK, here's me creating a new project and creating source in it:

dustin2wti:/tmp 663% mkdir test
dustin2wti:/tmp 664% cd test
dustin2wti:/tmp/test 665% tla init-tree temp--temp--0.1
dustin2wti:/tmp/test 667% touch file1.hs file2.ml subdir/file3.scm

        Now, realize I'm doing this with bigger, more complicated trees.

At this point, I want to add inventory tags for all the files and directories I created.

        This is the globbing problem:

dustin2wti:/tmp/test 668% find *
file1.hs
file2.ml
subdir
subdir/file3.scm
{arch}
{arch}/++default-version
{arch}/.arch-project-tree
{arch}/=tagging-method
{arch}/temp
{arch}/temp/temp--temp
{arch}/temp/temp--temp/temp--temp--0.1
{arch}/temp/temp--temp/temp--temp--0.1/address@hidden
{arch}/temp/temp--temp/temp--temp--0.1/address@hidden/patch-log

        vs.

dustin2wti:/tmp/test 669% find [A-z]*
file1.hs
file2.ml
subdir
subdir/file3.scm

        The end goal of the find is to pipe it into xargs for a tla add.

        If ``tla inventory'' did what I needed at import time, perhaps
globbing would be less of an issue, but I still don't believe that tla
inventory will ever replace all of the kinds of things people do with
find and recursive grep on their source trees.

Perhaps as a side-effect of skimming, I've missed your report on why
inventory doesn't do what you need.   Would you mind repeating it?
Perhaps it's a "user error" or perhaps there's a missing feature.

Well, I never specifically spelled it out, but since I have part of an illustration here, I cannot figure out how to get ``tla inventory'' to give me the same list as the second find.

dustin2wti:/tmp/test 673% tla inventory -u
file1.hs
file2.ml

        or

dustin2wti:/tmp/test 680% tla inventory -u -B --nested
file1.hs
file2.ml
subdir

        The inconsistency is as compared to .arch-ids and .arch-params, both
of which are out of the way until you need them.

I'm just not clear on why the three have to be comparable in this
regard.  They're each used rather differently from one another.

.arch-params possibly, but I don't think .arch-ids is that much different from {arch}. In both cases, they're holding tree control information.

It seems that the primary reason .arch-ids would need to be in all of the subdirectories is to facilitate automatic handling of directory moves. At least, this is the only reason I can think of to have them in the source directories rather than the {arch} directory itself with other tree control.

--
Dustin Sallings