Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:07:26 -0700

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:57:03PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

> Because normally I'd rather use -s/--summary [this is a (nicer IMHO)
> alternative to -L] to specify the message, and an error message + typing
> "^P -s'My message'" is less annoying than an editor window popping up in
> my face.

Also, I remember many times seeing the list in CVS and realizing that my
change wasn't right.  But, I'd just typed a long description.  So, I
have to save it to a different file and put the blank buffer back, or
CVS will do the commit.

By auto-running the editor, there is no convenient way to not do the
commit.  Most systems rely on an unchanged file indicating an abort of
the change (Perforce makes you exit the editor twice).  By making the
editor automatic as part of commit, we would force the description to be
written at the end.

Dave