Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {arch} directory

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] {arch} directory
Date: 26 Sep 2003 15:03:39 +0200

    Jani> On 26 Sep 2003 10:46:21 +0200
    Jani> Robin Farine <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

    >> Some have mentioned namespace pollution. Have you ever seen a project
    >> tree, not under Arch control, containing a file system object with a
    >> name sandwiched in curly braces?

    Jani> Not a project tree but oprofile generates files with { in
    Jani> their names.

Noted.

    Jani> What about the files starting with = ? Those are the ones shell
    Jani> autocompletion does not work on.

Well, the problem with '=' and bash looks more like a bash bug than
anything else and, if I recall, Tez has a patch that fixes this. Bash
also has problems completing names containing non-escaped '@', the
reason for this escapes me though.

    Jani> Even the build instructions for tla seemed a bit strange
    Jani> (they say mkdir =build and build there)

You can choose anything instead of '=build'. I tried ',build' but the
autocrap stuff chokes on names with a ','. The idea is that arch
doesn't consider names starting with '=' as sources so you can have
build directories at the top of your project tree, you clearly see
that they don't belong to the project sources and the inventory
mechanism ignores them when it's time to commit or make a tar file for
instance.

--
rnf