Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: 26 Sep 2003 09:34:09 -0700

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 09:09, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 11:09, Robert Anderson wrote:
>

> > Less likely than uuidgen?  Are you serious?
>
> I didn't say it was less likely than uuidgen, because it isn't.

So what's the discussion then?  The whole point of a file-id is
uniqueness.

> > I soundly reject the idea that history should be disjoined as a file
> > evolves in intended function as captured in a "descriptive comment".
>
> "disjoined"?

Yes, disjoined.  To render not joined anymore.  To separate.

> The history of "the file" is still there.  But if you're changing enough
> of the file to want to change the tag,

Well who said you'd change _any_ of the file to want to change the tag?
Maybe the file was utility functions for project X, and then you decided
you could use them for project Y.  Do you change the tag which says
"project X"?  You're just creating trouble where there is none.

There's absolutely no reason to have "descriptive text" in an arch-tag,
and many reasons not to.  It's not as strongly unique as alternatives.
It's likely to "want" to be changed.  The uuidgen based solution suffers
none of those problems.

Bob