Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:06:51 -0700

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 20:53 US/Pacific, Robert Collins wrote:

Bull.

hiding "." files is a convention of your file dir lister.

Your argument to change {arch} to be 'hidden' applies equally to your ls
command - why not just teach it to hide '{arch}'. No more SOL.

This is wrong. It's directory listing, command completion, globbing (I use one shell for scripting, another for interactive use) and probably more stuff I'm not thinking of (any languages that support their own globbing would need to be revised, for example). Some GUI tools (such as my Mac's finder) that has a concept of hidden directories can be told to hide a specific directory, but some cannot.

I don't think arguing to change everything around the {arch} directory provides a good reason for keeping it.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>