Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:26:23 -0700

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 09:31:04AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

> Another point of view says that the idea of an inventory id is a
> usefully universal one that transcends the issues of revision control.

What if we made the format of the tags more "universal", something that
could conceivably by used by systems other than arch.

Perhaps:

 <punct> file-id: "text" <punct>

or even something that makes it stand out more.  That might help make it
clear that the file tag isn't really an arch thing, it is just that arch
is the only thing that can do anything useful with it.

Other systems make use of unique id's for files or other pieces of data.
Uuids get fairly common use these days.  I don't know if we want to
restrict the id's to a 64 bit integer, though.

Dave