Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:14:13 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Paul Hedderly <address@hidden>

    > [...] howabout an option in =tagging-method that lets you choose
    > the tag; something like

    >   tag-regex arch-tag:

    > Could be:

    >   tag-regex src-uuid-tag:
    > or
    >   tag-regex bk-tag:|arch-tag:|src-uuid-tag:

    > (for loonies :O)

    > This would allow a) migrations from bk'd source, b)  people to think of
    > the tag as _data_ and not CM meta-data.

    > Oh and it would be backward compatible.

It's been talked about, proposed, tentatively planned, and postponed
indefinately (I think you can find it in src/tla/=TODO).

A drawback is the costs:

* regexps are "light", sort-of, but not nearly so light as the ad-hoc
  parsers currently used

* it's a commitment to still more parsing of =tagging-method and so
  forth  -- more code when there's too much already

Neither of those are show-stoppers -- just reasons why it isn't an
automatic win.   Hence, postponed indefinately rather than rejected.

(Another possible reason for the feature is for languages like m4 in
which the normal comment syntax doesn't jive with tagline syntax --
but now we have workarounds for that, too.)