Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arch hooks

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arch hooks
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:14:45 +0100

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:46:27PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Andrew> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 02:22:15PM +0900, Stephen
>     Andrew> J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>     >> Personally, I would set it to 'ask (or even 'show-me-first),
>     >> never t.  I have enough experience with
>     >> /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.postinst to wish I could turn that off,
>     >> too, but I can't.
>
>     Andrew> dpkg --extract
>
> Bzzt.  I'm talking about "friendly fire", in the uberdpkg stuff (I use
> aptitude, but it would affect dselect et al too, I suppose), like the
> persistent breakage in apache-common.  I don't mind if things fail at

Mwahaha. apacheconfig is loathed and detested by everybody, I
think. I'm told the one for apache2 is significantly less broken.

> the command line; it's just really annoying to have the same script
> fail several times in one session because it repeatedly tries to
> configure.

Ah, the problem here is that apt is a moronic and horribly broken pile
of code. We know this, even if far too many users don't :)

(aptitude inherits the braindamage and then adds some of its own;
dselect just calls "apt-get dselect-upgrade" at present, which is no
better)

You don't want to know what happens when it *really* goes wrong.

Someday it'll get fixed or replaced. However, those who have a fair
understanding of the problem and possible solutions are also aware of
a small list of other stuff that would be nice to have *first*, so
it'll probably take a while.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |