Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len

From: Tupshin Harper
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dynamic
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 17:46:15 -0700

Tom Lord wrote:

   > From: Tupshin Harper <address@hidden>

   > >The much more common case is applying a patch from a non-BK-using
   > >developer (still the majority, I think) -- patches represent moved files
   > >as a big delete plus a big add.
   > >

> What about thinking thinking about the entire problem in terms of the > general case where code moves from one file to another (while being > modified as well), with wholesale file moves being a special case of that?

Good luck.   (You've now edged into an area of "fundamental research"
and one that, given the choice, I wouldn't fund (since positive
results are unlikely).)

The lynch-pin here:  you said "code moves" -- what's "code" from the
tool's perspective?
-t

Agreed that this is research, but it does have interesting possibilities. First of all, I should have referred to partial file content move instead of code move. So if you have any pairings of content deletes and similar content adds, then detect, and (with or without human intervention), record that pair of deletes and adds as a single "content move".

Not necessarily much more complicated than the wholesale file move case, and adds the ability to capture the intent behind many refactoring operations.

-Tupshin