[Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 00:21:20 +0200

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:03:20PM -0700, Zack Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:14:26PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > As said I really want to execute add/move/delete-tag, it's a feature. As
> > such I've to keep tagline disabled. I don't want to depend on file
> > contents for the revision control.
> > I just feel unreliable with taglines. And I risk pain if somebody sends
> > two files with the same arch-id to Linus from two different projects
> > (though it's a very small risk). And you force me to watch those
> > metadata garbage that annoys me ;)
>
> This is a very strange thread. tla already allows you to choose not to
> use taglines, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to argue about it.
>
> So, if we assume you use 'explicit' tagging, then are you still unable to
> get what you need from tla? What else is missing, aside from the speedup

Of course not, explicit is exactly what I want. the context thread here
was not about explicit, it was only about the suggestion to use taglines
for l-k. If the l-k main repository will use taglines, then when I
checkout I will get it too and I understood at the moment changing
between taglines to explicit isn't trivial.

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
            rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
            http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/