[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Debugging new user induction

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Debugging new user induction
Date: 04 Oct 2003 15:04:06 +0900

Davide Libenzi <address@hidden> writes:
> The juice of my reply is that myself and Andrea didn't show up by saying:
> "Oh gee, we'd like to have telepathic commits and extrasensorial mainline
> notifications". The strict commit and the no-metadata-data-littering
> thingies are pretty standard arouund the world last time I checked. We
> have been treated like aliens here :)

I think part of the problem is that you (and Andrea) have consistently
used unnecessarily pejorative terms, like `littering' to describe
taglines.

It doesn't help you make your case (to the extent that you're trying to
make one), and it hurts the tone of the conversation.

Worse, it gives the impression that because it seems to be almost an
emotional issue, the second thing you'll mention when telling someone
about arch is `those horrible tagline things, don't go near them!'
Since many people here _like_ taglines (and have reasons to do so), at
the least, they'd like newcomers to see both sides of the issue.

-Miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....