Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit

From: Joshua Haberman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 10:05:33 -0700

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 01:19, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 18:09, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> > Definitely not that.  Mixed mode operation (some files explicitly
> > tagged, others containing taglines) is probably a bad idea.
>
> Huh? Thats precisely what 'tagline' as the tagging method provides. (And
> its necessary to have explicit tags in some cases: binary files with no
> provision for text hunks; Makefile.in's generated from Makefile.am's...
> )

I begin to wonder if the benefits of "tagline" are significantly reduced
by the fact that you have to keep track of which files are explicitly
tagged when moving files and "tla mv" them.

Now that "tla mv" is as capable as mv(1) (when did this happen?) I no
longer find tagline quite as compelling:

* Why is the "benefit" of not having to type "tla " before mv's in the
project tree worth the cost of adding "arch-tag" to every file?

* Is "tla mv" really avoided when some files are still explicitly tagged
out of necessity?

Josh